I have a culinary confession to make, I have an obsession with Trader Joe’s grocery stores. I simply love their philosophy: all natural ingredients, non hydrogenated fats and no GMO’s. Without overly plugging them, I just want to say that I am consistently happy with their selection of tasty and fun offerings that change with the seasons. Okay, so I may have a little bit of a bias here because my two best friends – Soren & Kristina work for Trader Joe’s but that just means I get great insights on new items in the store from yummy desserts, cheeses to wines. Thanks guys!
You may know already, but from time to time I like to highlight special ingredients that stand out in a recipe. Making curry paste from scratch is definitely the best way to enjoy the freshest and most intense fragrant flavors, however if you’re short on time and still want delicious home cooked Thai curry, Trader Joe’s Thai Red Curry Sauce is my go-to ingredient! Weekdays for my family mean quick (as fast as possible) meals, that try to be healthy and delicious! A nurturing meal is very important, and I think my Thai chicken vegetable curry recipe hits the spot!
This Thai chicken vegetable curry uses two methods for cooking; stewing and steaming. I like to build flavor in the pan with the sauteed garlic, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and chicken, then gently simmer in the red curry sauce. You can vary the amount of coconut milk you add, however I like my curries on the sweeter side so I use an entire can. I typically use Chaokoh Coconut Milk for my Thai dishes, because it’s super rich, creamy and sweet!
I like a variety of vegetables because they provide tons of flavor and texture to the curry. I like to add steamed zucchini, mushrooms, bell peppers, carrots and sweet potato, but really any vegetable will taste great! Steaming is a great way to quickly cook your vegetables without the added fats and with minimal loss to all of the great nutrients from the vegetables. You can also spice the dish up by adding some fresh Thai chili or jalapeno for a hotter kick! I like to serve my curry with either brown rice or quinoa to make the dish even more healthy!
A fast and flavorful Thai chicken vegetable curry you can enjoy any day of the week!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 bottle Trader Joes Red Curry Sauce (11 ounces)
- 13.5 ounces of coconut milk (I recommend Chaokoh brand)
- 1 cup sliced sweet potatoes, 1/4 inch slices
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced carrot, cut on a bias
- 1 ½ cup bell pepper, thinly sliced in 3 inch long strips
- 2 cups sliced zucchini, cut on a bias
- 1 ½ cup of sliced mushrooms
- 8 ounces of chicken breast, sliced into 1/2 inch by 2 inch strips
- In a medium sized pot, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Heat over medium high until the pan is hot. Add onions, sauté over medium heat for 3 minutes, until tender. Add bell pepper, sauté for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, sauté for 3 minutes. Add chicken, sauté for 4 to 5 minutes until cooked through.
- Add the curry sauce and coconut milk to the chicken mixture. Bring to a boil then quickly reduce to a low simmer.
- In a steamer, cook sweet potatoes (7 minutes), carrots (5 minutes), zucchini (3 minutes) or until tender (will vary with size). Add steamed vegetables to the chicken mixture and stir to combine. Serve with rice or quinoa.