Savory, spicy and addicting! This recipe for Thai shrimp vegetable pasta is made with all vegetable noodles to provide a healthier way to enjoy Thai flavors and your favorite summer squash. The entire recipe is only 5 ingredients; hot red curry paste, jumbo shrimp, coconut milk, summer squash and pea shoots.
Select your favorite squash varieties for the noodles, I chose organic yellow summer squash and zucchini that I purchased at the farmer’s market in Orange, CA.
Slice the squash in wide enough strips so that they are not too thin and won’t break easily during cooking. I recommend slicing the vegetables lengthwise in ¼” wide slices, then in ¼” wide strips.
Maesri Red Curry Pasteis my top choice for Thai curries. This particular red curry flavor is very spicy, you can always add small amounts at a time to a full can of coconut milk until you reach the desired level of spiciness. If you want more of a mild curry, yellow or mussaman are good choices. For the sauce, saute the red curry in a medium sized pot until fragrant, then add the coconut milk, combine and simmer. In a separate saute pan, added the squash to enough curry sauce to generously coat the vegetables, and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender and pliable.
I usually select extra large shrimp for the Thai shrimp vegetable pasta because they can be easily skewered and quickly broiled, or simmered in some of the curry sauce. Since the shrimp is the main protein of the dish, I like to give my guests nice large pieces.
I found some fresh organic pea shoots from Trader Joes, and decided to use them in the pasta and garnish and for some extra crunchy texture. Pea shoots have an earthy flavor and taste taste like raw snow peas, complementing the blend of spices in the curry.
Red curry is a combination of red chilies, garlic, shallots, lemongrass, sugar, kaffir lime galangal, coriander seeds, cumin and cardamom spices, ground into a fragrant paste. The tender, succulent and sweet shrimp compliments the rich and spicy red curry sauce. The squash noodles lightens the dish and the pea shoots provides a refreshing cooling effect, which is needed with the hot curry sauce!
I would pair a nice crisp, juicy and slightly sweet Riesling to compliment the natural sweetness in the shrimp and coconut milk, and to cool some of the spiciness from the the red chilies.
Savory, spicy and addicting! This recipe for Thai shrimp vegetable pasta is made with vegetable noodles to provide a healthier way to enjoy Thai flavors and your favorite summer squash.
- 4 large summer squash (yellow, zucchini)
- 4 ounces red curry paste
- 13.5 ounces of coconut milk
- ½ pound of extra large shrimp
- As needed, pea shoots
- Slice the squash lengthwise into ¼” slices, then cut into ¼” wide strips. Reserve.
- In a medium sized pot, saute the red curry over medium heat until fragrant. Add the coconut milk, stir and allow to simmer. Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Peel, devein and wash shrimp. Place 4 pieces of shrimp on a skewer; broil on a foil lined baking tray a few minutes on each side until orange in color and fully cooked.
- In a separate large saute pan, add vegetables in one layer and add enough of the curry sauce to generously coat. Cook the squash over medium heat, tossing occasionally until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- To plate- Add the squash to a medium sized serving bowl, top with shrimp and pea shoots.