Easy bayou-inspired salmon burgers! Each seafood patty is packed with bold spices and topped with a delicious creole mustard spread. Yum!
Have you ever tried making homemade salmon burgers? If not, you are missing out! Fish is always a big hit with my family, so when I served up these bold Bayou salmon burgers, their jaws hit the floor.
This recipe is packed with healthy ingredients and vegetables, so you get tons of nutrients and flavor. In just a few simple steps, you can transform whole salmon fillets into the ultimate fish burger with mouth watering spices.
How to Make Salmon Burgers
Salmon burgers can be a healthy meal, with each bite bursting with high-quality protein and healthy omega-3 fatty acids. You can easily customize the flavor combinations so that your taste buds are never bored! Here are the salmon burger basics.
- Ingredients: To make the flavor of these patties pop, fresh herbs like dill, shallots, earthy spices, pungent mustard, and tangy capers are added to the mix. You want a combination of fresh ingredients and seasonings to infuse into the patty. Breadcrumbs are added to the mixture to help bind the ingredients together and making it more tender.
- Preparing the Patties: To make the salmon burgers, use a food processor or high-speed blender to help break down the fish fillet into chunky puree consistency. If using a blender, I’ve found that you need to scrape down the sides more frequently to help blend the patty mixture.
- Cooking: Salmon burgers cook fairly quick just like any fish fillet, and are ready in under 8 minutes. The best way to check is with an instant-read thermometer. It will be tender and not overcooked at about 140°F. Grill, bake, stove top, you’ve got options!
Here is my secret for making the flavors of this Bayou burger a culinary home run. Are you ready?
I used Kitchen Crafted® globally inspired and innovative SPRD® and BLND products for a fish burger flavor explosion!
To play up the flavors of Louisiana cuisine, I used Kitchen Crafted® BLND Bayou Catch seafood seasoning to add a Cajun kick. It’s a combination of dried ground spicy chilies, garlic, onion, and salt to give a nice layer of flavor to the burger.
To brighten the flavor of the salmon burger, I added some creamy Kitchen Crafted SPRD Creole Kicker® mayo spread. It’s a vibrant combination of natural mayo, Creole mustard and a signature blend of 8 herbs and spices. This spread gets added right to the burger mixture and topped on the patty’s to make each bite even more irresistible.
There are so many versatile ways to use Kitchen Crafted® seasonings and natural spreads to create healthy meals with unique flavors. I promise you will be hooked after your first bite!
The salmon burgers are ready to get flipped! If it’s a beautiful day I love grilling outside, but pan frying in a cast iron or stainless steel skillet also adds a nice browned surface. The portions are generous in size, so you can also make smaller sliders for a crowd, but be prepared for tasty bliss!
The beauty of burgers is you can add any condiments and toppings your heart desires! For these Bayou salmon burgers, I served them with a super fresh and healthy mixture of thinly sliced red cabbage, napa cabbage and kale for crunch.
Slices of ripe, juicy tomato are a must, and a generous amount of tangy Kitchen Crafted SPRD Creole Kicker® mayo spread. If you are an avocado enthusiast, or like some pungent red onions (pickled would be even better!), go for it!
If I could dream up my perfect hands-on meal, this Creole salmon burger with creamy mustard spread would be it! It’s a healthy combination of seafood, vegetables, herbs, and spices. Looking for sides to pair up with this recipe? I would serve the burger with some crispy oven baked potato wedges or zucchini parmesan fries.
What are different ways to cook salmon burgers?
To cook the salmon burgers, you have a few options. You can grill burgers, pan fry, or bake. Both grilling and cooking in a pan uses medium-high heat and takes about 4 minutes on each side. For a baked burger, cook at 400°F for about 8 to 10 minutes, until cooked through. A good rule of thumb is to cook salmon burgers until the internal temperature reaches 135°F to 140°F on an instant-read thermometer.
Salmon Burgers with Creole Mustard
- 1 1/2 pounds salmon fillet, (skinless) cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Creole mustard spread, Kitchen Crafted SPRD Creole Kicker®
- 1/2 cup shallots, minced
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 tablespoons dill
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning, Kitchen Crafted BLND Bayou Catch
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- black pepper, as needed for seasoning patties
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red cabbage
- 1/2 cup green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup kale, thinly sliced
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices tomato
- In a food processor or blender add cut salmon pieces, creole mustard spread, shallots, capers, dill, salt and Bayou seasoning. Pulse and scrape down sides until the salmon is coarsely ground. You want some small chunks of salmon and not overly pureed. Transfer mixture to a medium-sized bowl and add breadcrumbs, mix with a spatula until combined. Evenly divide the salmon mixture into 4 portions (about 7 ounces). Shape into patties, about 4-inch wide and 3/4-inch thick. You can also make them the diameter of your burger buns. Season each side with pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and heat until very hot. Add patties, working in batches if needed. Cook until golden brown, 4 minutes, flip. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 130°F, 3 to 4 minutes, do not over cook!
- In a medium sized bowl combine the red and green cabbage and kale. Toast buns for a few minutes until warm and toasted. Top each burger with extra creole mustard spread, tomato, and greens.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Clean and oil the grill grates. Grill patties for 4 minutes covered, turn over and cook 3 to 4 more minutes covered.
Thank you to Kitchen Crafted for sponsoring this post and providing the delicious spreads and spices! All opinions are my own. Check out their full line of globally inspired spice combinations and all-natural gluten-free spreads at their Kitchen Crafted® website.