Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese
Butternut squash macaroni and cheese, a classic comfort food with a healthy twist! Whole grain noodles combined with creamy cheese sauce and crunchy panko.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 cups elbow macaroni (I used whole grain, any kind will work), 8 ounces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion thinly sliced, 1/8-inch
- 4 cups butternut squash cubed, 1/2-inch
- 5 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat milk 2%
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt more to taste
- 1 cup cheese shredded, (I used sharp cheddar, chose your favorite)
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs whole wheat panko
- parsley chopped for garnish
Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions in one layer in the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until tender and lightly golden, about 25 to 30 minutes, occasionally stirring, keeping the onions in one layer. You want the onions caramelized not crisp and brown, cooked under gentle heat to create a dark golden color and flavor. Reduce heat if the onions brown too quickly or start to burn.
While the onions cook, bring the broth to a boil in a large pot. Add the butternut squash and cooked for 7 minutes, or until tender. Drain the squash, reserving the broth, transfer squash to the blender. Add cooked onions, milk, 1 teaspoons salt and between ¼ cup reserved broth. Add up to ¼ cup more broth if desired to thin the sauce if desired. Puree until very smooth and creamy.
In medium sized pot, cook macaroni in salted boiling water according to manufacturer's instructions. Drain and set aside.
Pour the sauce over the cooked noodles and add the shredded cheese. Stir to melt the cheese, and more milk if needed to adjust the consistency. Season salt and pepper to taste.
In a small nonstick pan, toast panko breadcrumbs over medium heat until all sides are toasted, keeping the breadcrumbs moving in the pan, about 3 minutes.
Added toasted breadcrumbs and parsley to garnish the macaroni and cheese. Enjoy!
Calories: 432kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 827mg | Potassium: 274mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 650IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 360mg | Iron: 2.5mg