Chinese Five Spice Beef Soup with Bok Choy
Chinese five spice beef soup with bok choy is a flavor packed and hearty soup. Carrots, sweet potato, bok choy and red cabbage make this soup healthy and filling!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 servings
Calories 334 kcal
- 4 cloves garlic large pieces, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced fresh
- 1 1/2 pounds beef rib-eye steak or boneless short rib
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 3 cups beef stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 12 ounces sweet potato large size, orange flesh
- 1 pound baby bok choy
- 2 carrots peeled, ¼sliced on a bias
- 1 cup red cabbage thinly sliced, about ¼ inch thick slices
- 2 green onions thinly sliced on a bias
Trim fat from beef and cut across the grain into 1/4-inch thick slices, about 2 inches long, and 1 inch wide, discarding excess fat. Sprinkle meat with half of the minced garlic and ginger, salt and pepper, stir to combine.
Heat oil in a large pot over high heat. Brown half the beef lightly, occasionally stirring, 3 to 4 minutes until just cooked, it is okay if the meat is still a little pink. With a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a bowl. Repeat with remaining beef. Cover cooked meat with plastic wrap and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining minced garlic and ginger to the pot and cook until softened, about 30 seconds. Stir in five-spice powder, beef stock or broth and soy sauce. Peel sweet potato, halve lengthwise, and cut into 1/3-inch thick slices and add to the pot. Add peeled and chopped carrots to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, trim 3/4 inch off the ends of bok choy, separate leaves, and cut the larger outside leaves down the center to make two smaller pieces. Rinse and wash well. Stir bok choy and sliced red cabbage into the stew and simmer just until bok choy is wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in beef and cook until hot, 1 to 2 minutes.
Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with sliced green onions.