Beef stroganoff is a hearty dish loaded with chunks of sirloin steak and chopped mushrooms, tossed in a savory cream sauce with egg noodles.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin steak (681g) 1/2-inch thick and 2 inch long strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (15ml)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (15g)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (10g)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (138g) 1/4-inch dice
- 8 ounces brown mushroom (114g) 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (21g)
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted beef broth (360ml)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (15ml)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (120ml)
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley (2g)
Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil.
Once the oil is hot add the beef slices in a single layer, sear for 3 minutes to lightly brown the surface, stir and cook another 2 minutes until cooked through.
Season beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, transfer to a clean plate and reserve.
Heat the same pan over medium heat, add butter.
Once the butter is melted add the garlic, saute until fragrant, 30 seconds.
Add onions and saute until tender, 2 minutes.
Add mushroom and saute until mushrooms are tender and moisture from the vegetable evaporates, 3 minutes.
Add flour, stir and cook for 1 minute.
Slowly add in the beef broth, continuously stirring to help disperse the liquid, bring to a rapid simmer, cook until sauce is thickened, 2 minutes.
Turn heat to a low simmer and add cooked steak to the pan, stir to combine, cook until meat is warm, 2 to 3 minutes.
Turn off heat and stir in mustard, sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Taste sauce and season with more salt and pepper as desired.
Garnish beef stroganoff with parsley and serve with egg noodles, mashed potatoes or rice.
Calories: 356kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 746mg | Potassium: 901mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 265IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 3.2mg