Potatoes Au Gratin
Potatoes au gratin is a casserole recipe with layers of thinly sliced Yukon gold spuds and a cream sauce that includes melted cheese.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (60g, 2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (8g)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion (72g)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (30g, 1 ounce)
- 2 cups whole milk (480 ml)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (4g)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes (908g) peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese (117g, 4 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (117g, 4 ounces)
- 2 teaspoon chopped chives (1g)
Set the oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 400ºF.
Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and onions, saute until fragrant, 2 minutes.
Add flour, whisk to combine, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
Gradually whisk in milk and cook until thickened over medium heat, 2 to 3 minutes.
Turn off heat and whisk in salt, pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 cup gruyere, and 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese.
Grease the bottom and sides of an 8 by 8 by 2-inch casserole dish.
Layer half of the potatoes, in overlapping rows in the dish. Spread half of the cheese sauce over the potatoes. Sprinkle 1/4 cup gruyere and 1/4 cup cheddar over the sauce.
Layer the remaining potatoes, followed by cheese sauce, and sprinkle with the remaining gruyere and cheddar cheese.
Cover potatoes au gratin with foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake until potatoes are tender and cheese is browned and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.
Garnish potatoes with chives.
Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 256mg | Potassium: 548mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 275IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 3.9mg