Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
Bacon wrapped shrimp appetizer that's guaranteed to impress. Bacon is by par-cooked first before wrapping around marinated shrimp with a maple glaze.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 20 pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30ml)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (15ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (2g)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pound large shrimp (454g) peeled, deveined, tail on (16/20 count)
- 12 ounces bacon (340g) 10 slices
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley for garnish
Set the oven rack to the center position. Preheat the oven to 400ºF (20ºC).
Whisk olive oil, lemon juice, salt, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, and chili powder in a medium-sized bowl.
Add shrimp to the marinade and stir to combine. Allow shrimp to marinate for at least 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the bacon.
Cut bacon strips in half, about 4 to 5 inches in length.
Line a baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack on top. Place the cut strips of bacon on the wire rack.
Roast until the bacon just begins to shrink and turn slight red in color, about 8 minutes. The bacon should be flexible and not completely cooked or crispy.
Allow the bacon to cool until it's easy to handle with fingertips, 5 to 10 minutes.
Wrap each piece of shrimp with the par-cooked bacon slices, insert a toothpick to secure the wrap.
Arrange the shrimp in a single layer on the same pan used to cook the bacon. Roast the bacon wrapped shrimp for 5 minutes.
Remove the tray from the oven. Carefully flip the shrimp over and then brush each piece with half of the maple syrup. Roast the shrimp for 5 minutes.
Remove the tray from the oven, flip the shrimp one last time, and brush the shrimp with the remaining maple syrup.
Change the oven to the high broil setting. Broil the shrimp until the bacon is deep red in color and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Carefully remove the toothpicks.
Transfer bacon wrapped shrimp to a serving plate. Garnish with freshly cracked black pepper and parsley.
- If you do not have a wire rack, you can roast the bacon and bacon wrapped shrimp directly on a foil-lined sheet pan. Keep a close eye on cook time, as it might be faster due to the food directly frying in the oil.
- MAKE IT WHOLE30: Omit the maple syrup glazing steps.
Calories: 117kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 68mg | Sodium: 347mg | Potassium: 60mg | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 40IU | Vitamin C: 1.2mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 0.6mg