Classic Caesar Salad
Classic caesar salad made with romaine lettuce and tossed with a creamy homemade dressing. Topped with aged Parmesan cheese and crunchy croutons.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time0 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 6 anchovies (10g) canned
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic (1g)
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt divided (3g)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice (30ml)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (1g)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese (6g), plus more for garnish
- 8 cups romaine lettuce (256g) ½-inch thick slices
- 1 cup croutons (optional)
On a cutting board, chop the anchovy fillets, minced garlic, and ¼ teaspoon salt together. Use the side of the knife to help mash the fish into a paste.
In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the paste, mustard, egg yolk, lemon juice, zest, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper.
Gradually whisk in olive oil until a thickened, smooth emulsion forms.
Whisk in the parmesan cheese until dressing is smooth.
Add romaine lettuce to a large bowl and ¼ cup of dressing, gently toss to combine. Add more dressing to your liking or serve on the side.
Top the salad with desired toppings like parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, and croutons.
Serve salad immediately or keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Serve salad immediately or keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Make sure to refrigerate any unused dressing, enjoy the same day, and do not leave out longer than 2 hours.
- 1 tablespoon (15g) of anchovy paste can be substituted for whole anchovies
- To substitute the raw egg yolk, use either pasteurized egg yolk or 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise.
- Makes about ¾ cup dressing.
Calories: 324kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 579mg | Potassium: 264mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 8280IU | Vitamin C: 7.3mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 1.7mg