Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Slow cooker pulled pork coated in a homemade barbecue sauce. Hunks of juicy pork shoulder simmered in a spiced sauce until fork tender.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time6 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 20 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- ¾ cup tomato paste (200g, 7 ounces)
- ¾ cup pineapple juice (177ml)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (79ml)
- 2 tablespoons molasses (30ml)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard (15ml)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (6g)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (4g)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (2g)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (3g)
- Black pepper for seasoning
- 4 to 4 1/2 pound boneless pork shoulder excess fat trimmed and cut into 4 pieces
In a medium bowl whisk together tomato paste, pineapple juice, maple syrup, molasses, mustard, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, and salt.
Trim the excess fat from the pork shoulder. Cut pork into four pieces.
Transfer the pork to the slow cooker.
Pour sauce over the pork, turning to coat the pieces.
Cover and cook until pork is very tender and easy to separate with a fork, 5 to 7 hours on “High” or 8 to 10 hours on “Low” setting.
Transfer pork to a plate and shred into smaller pieces. Cover with foil to keep warm.
Skim and remove the excess fat from the surface of the sauce. The sauce can also be transferred to a fat separator or bowl to remove the grease.
Add the defatted sauce to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Cook the sauce, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced to about 1 ½ cups, 15 to 20 minutes.
Season sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer pork to the slow cooker and combine with 1 cup of sauce. Serve the remaining sauce on the side with the pulled pork.
- If only bone-in pork shoulder or pork butt is available, purchase a 7 to 8 pound cut to account for the weight of the bone.
Calories: 414kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 59g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 153mg | Sodium: 507mg | Potassium: 1379mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 880IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 4mg