Light and fluffy pumpkin pancakes mixed with a warm blend spices. Using pumpkin puree keeps each cake tender and adds a festive orange hue.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 16 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (284g, 10 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (28g, 1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar (22g, ¾ ounce)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder (7g)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (3g)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (3g)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (6g)
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (480ml)
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (60ml) whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (44g) melted and cooled
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- vegetable oil as needed for cooking
- ½ cup pecans (53g, 1 34 ounces) chopped (optional)
In a large bowl whisk together flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice.
In a medium bowl whisk together buttermilk, pumpkin puree, yogurt, eggs, and cooled melted butter.
Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Leave a few streaks of flour, the pancake batter should look lumpy.
Allow the batter to rest for 10 minutes before cooking.
Heat a large 12-inch nonstick pan over medium heat.
Add 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil to the pan. Use a paper towel to create a thin layer of oil on the bottom of the pan.
Measure out a 1/4 cup (60mof pancake batter into the pan, 2 to 3 at a time. Use the back of a spoon to spread the pancakes into a circular shape, about 3 ½ inches in diameter.
Cook until golden brown, the edges are set, and bubbles are beginning to break on the surface of the pancake, 2 to 3 minutes.
Carefully flip the pancake, and cook until the other side is golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes Do not press down on the pancake after flipping or it will not be fluffy.
Repeat with the remaining batter, and grease the pan as needed.
- Serving Size: 1 pumpkin pancake with nuts.
- MAKE IT GLUTEN-FREE: Substitute gluten-free flour for all-purpose flour. Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour is recommended.
- Freeze and Reheat: Individually wrap cooled pancakes in plastic, store in a resealable container and freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat by wrapping a pancake in paper towel and microwave on a plate for 60 to 90 seconds.
Calories: 139kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 142mg | Potassium: 133mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1920IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 1mg