Easy corn chowder recipe with a classic combination of aromatic vegetables, sweet corn, chunks of tender potatoes, and smokey bacon.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 6 cups corn kernels about 7 cobbs, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth (720ml) or chicken stock, divided
- 4 slices bacon (95g, 3 ¼ ounces) ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced yellow onion (145g, 5 ounces), ¼-inch dice
- ¼ cup diced carrots (65g, 2 ¼ ounces), ¼-inch dice
- ¼ cup diced celery (65g, 2 ¼ ounces), ¼-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (8g)
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- ½ pound russet potatoes (about 1 ½ cups, 227g, 8 ounces) peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
- ½ pound red potatoes (about 1 1/2 cups, 227g, 8 ounces) cut into ½-inch dice
- 1 cup whole milk (240ml)
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt (4g)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper as needed for seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup half-and-half (120ml)
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley (4g)
Cut the kernels off the cob and then use a spoon to scrape the excess pulp. Transfer to a medium bowl.
Add 4 cups of corn kernels and 2 cups chicken broth to a blender. Process until smooth, 1 minute on medium speed.
Add bacon to a large dutch oven or pot. Heat the pot over medium heat, cook and stir bacon until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Add onions, carrots, and celery. Cook until onions are translucent and vegetables are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
Add garlic and thyme, cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
Add the remaining 2 cups of corn kernels and saute for 1 minute.
Add potatoes, corn puree, 1 cup of chicken broth, milk, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
Bring soup to boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Stir every few minutes and cook until potatoes are fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
Turn off the heat and discard bay leaf. Stir in the half-and-half and parsley.
Taste the corn chowder and season with more salt and pepper as desired.
Divide the soup into serving bowls. Top with crispy bacon and parsley.
- Serving: 1 cup of corn chowder
Calories: 237kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 874mg | Potassium: 610mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 841IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 74mg | Iron: 1mg