Pumpkin cookies topped with a smooth cream cheese frosting and chopped pecans. Pumpkin puree gives these treats their characteristic orange color.
Prep Time1 hr
Cook Time24 mins
Total Time1 hr 24 mins
Servings: 24 cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (284g, 1 ounce)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (6g)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (2g)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder (1g)
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (3g)
- ½ cup unsalted butter (115g, 4 ounces), softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (150g, 5 ¼ ounces)
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar (50g, 1 ¾ ounce)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup pecans (60g, 2 ounces), chopped
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (60g, 2 ounces), softened
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (175g, 6 ounces)
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut into four pieces and softened (115g)
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Set the oven rack to the middle position and preheat to 350ºF (177ºC).
Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and salt.
In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or hand mixer), combine butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2 minutes.
Add the egg and mix until combined, 30 seconds.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the pumpkin puree and vanilla. Mix until combined, 30 seconds.
Gradually add the flour mixture on low speed until combined, about 30 seconds. Mix the cookie dough with a spatula to incorporate any pockets of flour.
Spoon two tablespoon-sized mounds of cookie dough onto the baking sheets. Use a spoon to spread the dough into a circle, the dough will have a sticky consistency.
Repeat with remaining cookie dough, placing them about 2 inches apart, about 12 per baking sheet.
Bake the cookies one sheet at a time until the edges and centers are set, and the bottoms are golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. If baking less than 12 cookies per sheet, reduce time to 10 to 12 minutes.
Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Cream Cheese frosting
In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or hand mixer), beat 4 tablespoons softened butter and powdered sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy 2 minutes.
Add cream cheese, one piece at a time and mix until smooth.
Add the cinnamon and mix until incorporated.
Spread about 1 to 2 teaspoons of frosting on the top of each cookie, and then sprinkle on the pecans.
- Cookies and frosting can be made a day ahead and stored separately in an airtight container. Allow the frosting to warm slightly at room temperature before filling.
- Homemade pumpkin spice can be used. Add 1 ¾ to 2 teaspoons of the blend to the mixture instead of the individual spices in the ingredient list.
- The cookies will become cakier when stored overnight or refrigerated.
Calories: 157kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 106mg | Potassium: 54mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 1778IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 1mg