Serve up a delicious boozy chocolate milkshake spiked with a touch of whisky.
My first “boozy” milkshake experience was in Washington DC at a place called the Satellite Room. My friend Jasmine who lived in DC at the time took me to this institution where busy DC professionals meet up after work and chow down while listening to great music. The Satellite Room has a tasty selection of delicious burgers and a variety of beers on tap. I was taken out of my culinary element when I tried a boozy chocolate milkshake from the menu.
This adult dessert beverage was creamy and had just a hint of alcohol taste which was great because I’m not a big drinker. The subtle flavor of the alcohol slowly crept up on me, especially since I downed the entire milkshake in less than 5 minutes! I knew that I had to recreate this marvelous milkshake someday, so today I set out to make my own rendition of a boozy chocolate milkshake!
I decided to pair one of my favorite nostalgic desserts with a touch of 18-year Glenlivet Whisky that I had on hand to make a boozy chocolate milkshake.
I am addicted to chocolate malts (the frozen ice cream novelty in wax paper cups served at ball games), and my husband Jason’s drink of choice is whisky. So I thought the combination of flavors from rich chocolate malt and aged whisky would make for an excellent pairing.
My husband and I teamed up to create a delicious chocolate malt flavor for the base, and figuring out just the right range of whisky to add that could satisfy all boozy milkshake connoisseurs.
My husband enjoys Glenlivet single malt Whisky, so we used that brand for our recipe. I recommend starting with a few ounces then (if you’re feeling bold) add more to your liking. I like just a hint of alcohol notes, whereas Jason can take more of a stronger punch. Cheers!
What is malted milk powder?
A distinct flavoring ingredient that is made from barley malt, wheat, and milk that is evaporated and turned into a powder. It is the key ingredient providing a characteristic cooked sweet and rich flavor to old-fashioned malted milkshakes, ice creams and malted beverages like Ovaltine . I used Carnation Malted Milk Powder for the boozy chocolate milkshake recipe.
Boozy Chocolate Milkshake with Whisky
- 1 cup cold milk
- 3 ounces whisky, your favorite Bourbon or Scotch
- 4 tablespoons malted milk powder, Carnations brand recommended
- 2 cups chocolate ice cream
- 2 cups ice
- malt balls, if desired for garnish (Whopper’s brand)
- chocolate shavings, if desired for garnish
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Add milk, whisky, malted milk powder, chocolate ice cream, and ice to the blender. Add 2 to 4 ounces of whisky (a 2-ounce addition of whiskey will give a more subtle taste of alcohol, while 4-ounces will be a much stronger flavor).
- Blend on low, slowly increasing the speed until smooth consistently is reached, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add more milk if a thinner milkshake is desired.
- In a large chilled bowl, whisk chilled whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Pour chocolate malted whisky milkshake into 4 separate glasses (8 ounces per glass). Top with fresh whipped cream and garnish. Cheers!