Green beans with almonds are a fast and healthy side dish. Sautéed with garlic, onions and orange juice, topped with crunchy nuts.
Have you ever had mushy and overcooked green beans that seem more like a punishment than a delight to eat? I’ve never had a bad relationship with green beans unless you try and give them to me from a can. I wanted to keep this citrus green bean with almonds recipe easy and flavorful.
It will take under 20-minutes to prepare, no lie! This recipe is the perfect holiday or weekday side dish because it’s quick and can be the last thing you cook before serving. It’s so simple! No need to make meal time any more difficult, this dish is operator friendly.
Cooking green beans just right is crucial, especially since it’s the star of this dish. The thing about vegetables is that you have to pay close attention to the cooking time to keep them a beautiful bright green color with crunchy texture.
As you have probably experienced in the past, it can quickly turn from bright green to yucky brown in just a matter of minutes. One of my first lab assignments in college was to study the effect of blanching time on the color and texture of green beans, super nerdy and super awesome, I know!
I’m not a big fan of drowning green beans with a dense, rich sauce. They are so delicious when cooked to just the right crispness and tossed with some fresh flavors.
Sautéed red onions and garlic to give a gentle savory kick to the dish. I then stirred in fresh squeezed orange juice and aromatic zest to elevate the natural sweetness and fresh taste of the beans. Right before serving sprinkling some sliced almonds adds a little extra crunch with each bite.
To successfully cook tender, crisp and bright green beans, the most important thing to remember are these three words “blanch and shock.” It’s the cooking and cooling technique you can use for any green vegetables to preserve color and texture. Learn how to cook green beans so you can master the technique!
- 4 quarts water , divided
- 1 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt , divided
- 4 cups ice cubes
- 1 pound green beans , or haricot verts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup red onions , thinly sliced, about half an onion
- 2 cloves garlic , thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon orange rind , grated
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- Add 3 quarts of water and 1 teaspoon salt to a large pot. Heat pot over high heat until a rolling boil is reached and large bubbles break the surface.
- Add green beans to boiling water and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a large bowl filled with ice water. Allow beans to sit in ice bath for at least 5 minutes, and then drain well.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to the pan, swirl to coat.
- Add red onions and garlic, sauté 3 minutes or until tender, do not allow garlic to brown.
- Add green beans to the pan and stir well.
- Add orange rind and juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper, sauté 2 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve beans warm topped with almonds.
MAKE IT WHOLE30: Use sea salt for kosher salt.