Master how to cook green beans and achieve the perfect texture and color every time. The simple blanch and shock method is the key to bright and crunchy beans.
Nobody likes to eat mushy and dull colored vegetables, that’s why learning how to cook green beans like a pro will be a game changer in the kitchen. There is an easy method to achieve beautiful bright and crisp beans called “blanch and shock.”
It’s a two-step process that takes less than 10 minutes to ensure perfect results. From there, you can refrigerate the beans for later use in recipes, or rewarm them immediately with seasonings for a tasty side dish. Once you’ve mastered this cooking technique, you will never have to worry about the dreaded green bean disaster being served to your guests every again!
What is Blanching?
Blanching is submerging vegetables in a large pot of boiling salted water for just a few minutes to soften the cell walls. For green beans, what you’ll observe is the dull green chlorophyll transform into a bright green color. The change is due to the air between the cells bubbling off in the hot environment and the tissue of the plant becoming more transparent.
Beware! Do not walk away from the pot. If you cook the vegetables too long or don’t stop the cooking process, the bright green can change to the dull olive green. This is because as the chlorophyll molecules get heated, the magnesium ion contained in the center releases, and causes the unpleasant color change. What should you do to prevent this?
Let the Beans Chill!
The quick blanching helps cook and tenderize the green beans, but shocking them right after in a large ice water bath stops the cooking and any further change in color. The result is crisp, tender, gorgeous green vegetables.
Just reheat the vegetables right before serving. You can also freeze or refrigerate the blanched beans until ready to cook. This method is also perfect for green vegetables like broccoli, snow and snap peas and asparagus.
More green bean recipes
- Green Beans with Orange Miso Sauce
- Haricot Verts with Mushrooms and Caramelized Onions
- Citrus Green Beans with Almonds
How to cook green beans
- 4 quarts water, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups ice cubes
- 1 pound green beans, or haricot verts
- Add 3 quarts of water and salt to a large pot. Heat pot over high heat until a rolling boil is reached and large bubbles break the surface.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine 1-quart water and ice. Set ice bath aside.
- Add beans to the boiling water and cook until the green beans are bright green and crisp tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Immediately transfer beans to the ice bath for 5 minutes. Drain beans and use as desired.
More Popular Side Dish Recipes
Shop the Recipe Tools
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting my website.