Stay warm and cozy with this easy slow cooker cauliflower corn chowder recipe. Each hearty bowl contains wholesome vegetables and tender chicken for a healthier meal!
Lately on these chilly evenings at home my toddler James has been saying, “Mommy let’s get cozy.” It makes my heart melt every time. I love it! But before we get to the snuggles, I like to remedy the cold weather with a big bubbling pot of this slow cooker cauliflower corn chowder recipe.
It’s warm, hearty and even healthier than your traditional creamy chowders. This method uses extra vegetables to mimic a thicker soup consistency. With each hot bowl filled to the brim with tons of nutritious vegetables and chicken, it’s a meal to keep you satisfied and nourished. Now break out that Crockpot and let it do all of the work while you spend some time getting cozy with your loved ones!
I have completely fallen in love with my 6-quart Crock-Pot that my hubby Jason bought me for Christmas last year. I’ve been able to create flavorful and healthy meals with minimal effort.
A few of my families favorites have been my delicious pork chili, tender Italian shortribs, and even slow cooker meatballs. I’ve made a few kinds of soup too. Here are my essential tips to keep in mind while you are making your own homemade soups!
Slow Cooker Soup Recipe Tips
- Microwave– An easy way to soften vegetables like carrots and onions and bloom spices is to microwave for a few minutes before adding to the slow cooker. You don’t need as much oil like sauteing. It’s also ideal for steaming vegetables before adding into the soup. I did this for the cauliflower so that I could blend it into a smooth and creamy puree.
- Delicate Ingredients– Fresh or fragile ingredients like peas, spinach, and corn only need a short time to cook. I add them at the end, so they keep their bright colors and prevent them from getting mushy. For the corn kernels in this recipe, I stirred them in at the end and let it heat on high for about 30 minutes.
- Toppings– To make the final dish look even more appetizing add some colorful toppings and textures. For this dish, I chopped fresh parsley that has a vibrant green color. I also added some crispy bacon for just a hint of savory notes and sauteed tiny cauliflower florets for texture.
It’s time to grab the biggest spoon you can find and dig in! Each hearty bite of this slow cooker corn chowder will warm your heart and soothe the soul. This recipe is packed with lean shredded chicken breast for added protein.
Your taste buds will love the combination of tender diced red potatoes, aromatic carrots, onion, celery, corn, and cauliflower. The slow cooking process allows the chicken to stay moist and tender, plus all of the flavors have the chance to infuse nicely together.
There is nothing better than coming home after a long day to a hot meal that’s just waiting to be devoured. Slow cooking allows you to prepare and cook while you’re away. It’s been a game-changer for my hectic workdays! What is your favorite meal to cook in a slow cooker?
More Slow Cooker recipes
How do you create a Creamy Soup with Vegetables?
I used a few cooking tricks to cut back on some of the dense, high-calorie ingredients. Steamed cauliflower and cooked corn were blended with chicken stock to add a natural thickness to the soup. The blender creates superfine vegetable particulates that suspend in the liquid which mimics a thicker texture similar to cream. A small amount of whole milk was used instead, to add just a hint of richness but you can replace it with more stock, coconut milk or even unsweetened cashew or almond milk for dairy-free options.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin This
Slow Cooker Cauliflower Corn Chowder
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped fine
- ¾ cup celery, ¾-inch dice
- ¾ cup carrot, ¾-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, cut into small pieces
- 3 cups corn, canned and drained
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 pound red potatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf, dried
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add onions, celery, carrots, olive oil, cayenne pepper, and thyme.
- Microwave for 3 minutes and then stir, cook another 3 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add 3 cups of cauliflower florets to a microwave-safe bowl. Add ¼ cup water and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave for 5 minutes, or until florets are tender.
- Drain the cauliflower and add to a blender.
- Add in 1 ½ cups corn and 2 cups chicken stock. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add 1 cup chicken stock, chicken breasts, red potatoes, milk, salt, and bay leaf to the slow cooker. Stir to combine all ingredients. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender; 3 to 4 hours on High setting or 5 to 6 hours on Low.
- Discard bay leaf. Remove chicken and shred into smaller pieces.
- Stir in remaining 1 ½ cups corn and shredded chicken, let it sit until heated through, about 10 minutes on High setting.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as desired. Stir in 1 tablespoon parsley and serve hot. Top with additional parsley and pepper.
- Optional Toppings: Bacon and sauteed cauliflower.
- MAKE IT DAIRY-FREE: Replace 1 cup of milk with additional chicken broth, unsweetened cashew milk or coconut milk (this may alter the flavor more than the other alternatives).
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @jessica_gavin on Instagram. I'd love to see how it turns out!