Wholesome banana bread flavored popcorn snack packed with warm spices, walnuts, and banana chips. A perfect portable snack that adults and kids will enjoy!
Are you looking for a quick and tasty snack recipe to stay energized? I’ve got a delicious banana bread flavored popcorn snack that everyone will enjoy. PLUS it only takes a few minutes to make!
When it comes to meals, I like to pack fun and flavorful options for my son as he heads to school. I thought a delightful twist would be to take the essential flavors of a morning staple like banana bread and transform it into a portable better-for-you snack treat. Each popcorn handful is packed with warm spices, toasted walnuts, and crunchy banana chips. A snack that kids will love and parents will feel good about!
Whole grain and packed with fiber, popcorn is a snacking powerhouse! SkinnyPop® Popcorn is so delicious and only made with three simple ingredients- popcorn, natural sunflower oil, and just the right amount of salt. Yes, that’s it!
I’m always looking for a wholesome snack that I can just grab and go. To make this yummy banana bread popcorn recipe, I added in the essential flavor elements. It’s all about the spices; warm and sweet aromas from cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice get tossed into the popcorn mix. The smell reminds me of freshly baked morning pastries filling the air without all of the calories!
I toasted some walnuts for the mix, did you know that they are an excellent source of omega-3 essential fatty acids? Of course, I had to add some bananas too. Banana chips are good because they add a nice crunch and natural sweetness.
For an extra flavor boost, I added some banana chips to my blender to make a banana powder. I tossed it in with the popcorn mix to add a stronger banana note. Once the bag of popcorn is gone, my son likes to dip his finger in the spiced banana dust.
It’s time for the magical ingredients to turn this lovely popcorn into a banana bread flavored snack! A generous sprinkling of the spice blend on top adds just the right of seasoning to the popcorn.
Go ahead and grab a handful, or two! You’ll taste a little bit of spiced popcorn, walnut and banana chip in one bite. The combination will remind you of baked banana bread. So tasty! You might want to make a double your batch because you’re going to want to pack some for your lunch and the kiddos too!
If you’re craving some bread after eating this popcorn, give my whole wheat banana nut bread recipe a try. As we transition into the fall, this banana bread flavored popcorn will be a family favorite snack! You can add other mixes in’s like dried fruit, different nuts like almonds, cashews or pecans, or even some cocoa powder for a chocolate banana bread flavor.
What is the nutritional profile of popcorn?
The light and airy popped popcorn kernel is a mighty powerhouse packed with whole grains, fiber and antioxidants like polyphenols. The original flavor of SkinnyPop Popcorn contains about 39 calories per cup, which is about 6 to 8 grams of popped kernels. You can also get almost 1 gram of insoluble dietary fiber per cup. Popcorn makes for a wholesome anytime snack, but skip drenching in the extra butter and salt!
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin This
Banana Bread Flavored Popcorn Snack
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup banana chips, divided
- 4 cups popcorn
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- ¼ teaspoon ginger, ground
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- Heat a small pan over medium heat. Add walnuts and toast for 5 minutes until crunchy, tossing every minute to get even toasting. Turn off heat and set pan aside.
- Add ½ cup of banana chips to a blender or food processor. Process until powder forms, about 10 seconds. Transfer contents to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add popcorn to a medium-sized bowl. Add in cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice. Toss to combine until the popcorn is evenly coated.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the ground banana chips and stir to combine. Some will stay at the bottom of the bowl but mix the best you can.
- Add in ½ cup of whole banana chips and walnuts.
- Double recipe for a larger quantity of servings.
- Ground banana chips are optional; the popcorn will still have lots of flavor without the banana powder if you don't have a blender or tight on time.
- You can skip toasting the walnuts. However, it adds a little more crunchiness and brings out the flavor.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week, or divide into 5 individual re-sealable bags as a portable snack.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @jessica_gavin on Instagram. I'd love to see how it turns out!