Are you bored of buffalo wings? Then it’s time to take your game day meal to the next level with a buffalo chicken pizza layered with creamy ranch dressing and three types of melty cheese.
Table of Contents
This recipe mashes up two of life’s most game-worthy foods, buffalo wings and pizza. Instead of picking through tiny bones for meat, I use chunks of shredded chicken breast or thighs are tossed in a fiery sauce. The crispy crust keeps your fingers a little cleaner to quickly pick up a beverage and cheers friends when your team scores a touchdown.
You can make this meal from scratch, from the pizza dough, chicken, and red hot sauce. Or, it’s easy to swap ingredients with store-bought items for more convenience. I’m a big fan of using leftover rotisserie chicken as it’s a great way to repurpose food.
Pizza dough options
If you want to take this full gourmet, my homemade pizza dough is just 5-ingredients; bread flour, yeast, salt, water, and olive oil. But plan on it taking at least 2 hours before baking or make it the night before. My dough recipe makes enough for two pies, which comes in handy when feeding a crowd.
If time is not on your side, you can purchase 1 pound of raw dough from the grocery store. I see them available at major retailers and Trader Joe’s in the refrigerated aisle.
To complement the fiery buffalo sauce, I first spoon ranch dressing onto the pizza dough. Just like dipping wings into the creamy sauce to tame the capsaicin, adding it as a layer to the pizza is the perfect pairing. My version uses buttermilk for tanginess, bold spices, and freshly chopped herbs like chives, parsley, and dill.
For convenience, grab your favorite bottle of ranch. Otherwise, try my blue cheese dressing if you want a more spicy, cheesy taste. Whichever you choose, I like to make sure there’s enough extra to serve on the side as a dip.
Use any leftover cooked chicken breast, thigh, or a mixture for a quick topping. During the week, I often have roasted chicken or grilled chicken to use. Alternatively, you can quickly pan-sear chicken on the stovetop or bake it if you don’t have any.
Shred the meat into bite-sized pieces. You’ll need 2 cups. You can also slice or chop it into cubes if you prefer.
A blazing red hot, tangy sauce adds a lingering spicy kick and a ton of flavor to the pizza. I have a buffalo sauce you can make from scratch in just 10 minutes. It combines Frank’s RedHot sauce, red wine vinegar for spice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and butter to emulsify it into a thickened consistency. If you prefer to reduce the amount of butter, try my cornstarch buffalo sauce version.
For convenience, you can use store-bought sauce. Just make sure not to confuse it with regular hot sauce that doesn’t have any thickening agents. Otherwise, it won’t cling to the meat. Toss the shredded chicken with the sauce.
Three types of cheeses
To give a variety of flavors and textures, I use different varieties of cheese. Mozzarella cheese is high in moisture, providing a nice melt. Cheddar cheese gives a more nutty, savory flavor. You can use mild or sharp cheddar. Provolone or smoked gouda are good substitutes for cheddar.
Blue cheese adds a deep salty, cultured, and slightly spicy taste. It doesn’t melt like the others because it’s lower in fat, but the crumbles add a pleasant zing to each bite. I use the same trifecta of cheeses in my buffalo chicken dip. It’s delicious!
Prepare the crust
If not made fresh the same day, I let the chilled pizza dough sit out for 30 minutes, so it’s easier to work with. Stretch it into a 12-inch circle, or shape it into a rectangle. Brush the edges with olive oil for more browning and crunch.
Place the crust on a baking sheet or round pan lightly brushed with olive oil and dusted with cornmeal. The cornmeal gives a nice crisp crust with an interesting texture on the bottom. If you have a pizza stone, you can preheat it, then build the pizza on top.
Layer the toppings and bake
The ranch dressing gets evenly spread on the dough first. The sauced chicken is layered on top, followed by the mozzarella, cheddar, and blue cheese crumbles. Add thin slices of red onion on top for extra crunch.
Bake at a scorching 500ºF (260ºC) until the cheese is bubbling, about 10 to 12 minutes. Right before serving, sprinkle green onions on top. If desired, you can add more buffalo sauce and blue cheese, then slice it up and enjoy.
Serve this with
Shredded chicken, spicy buffalo sauce, cheese like mozzarella, cheddar, provolone, and blue cheese. Extra toppings like red onion and green onion. Tomato sauce is not used. It’s either no sauce or something creamy like ranch or blue cheese dressing.
You can use pizza crusts that have already been par-baked to make this pizza. Follow packaging directions for baking temperature. The pizza is ready when the cheese is hot and bubbling.
Freshly grated cheese is best
Grab a block of cheddar and mozzarella cheese and hand-shred it if you have time. Pre-shredded cheese is coated with anti-caking agents like cellulose, cornstarch or potato starch to prevent sticking. You want a nice cheese pull, and those ingredients can prevent the shreds from melting together.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin This
Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- olive oil, for brushing
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal, optional
- ⅓ cup ranch dressing
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, mild or sharp
- ⅓ cup crumbled blue cheese
- ¼ cup sliced red onion, ¼-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Preheat the Oven – Set the oven rack to the lowest position and set the temperature to 500ºF (260ºC).
- Warm the Dough – Allow the prepared pizza dough to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Coat the Chicken – In a medium bowl combine the shredded chicken and buffalo sauce. Set aside.
- Oil the Pan – Lightly brush a large baking sheet or pizza pan with olive oil. Evenly sprinkle cornmeal on the pan, if desired.
- Shape the Dough – On a lightly floured surface, stretch and shape the dough into a 10-inch circle—transfer to the baking sheet. Use fingers to press into a 12-inch circle. Leave the edges slightly thicker, about ½-inch tall and wide. Brush some olive oil on the edges to make the crust crispier when baked.
- Add the Toppings – Spread the ranch dressing first, followed by the sauced chicken, mozzarella, cheddar, blue cheese, and onions.
- Bake – Cook until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve – Garnish with extra crumbled blue cheese, green onions, and buffalo sauce. Slice and serve immediately while still hot.
- Using my Pizza Dough Recipe: It makes enough for two pizzas. Double the topping ingredients, or use 1 crust and save the other for later.
- Storing: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Reheating: Place on a sheet pan and broil on the lowest rack until cheese is hot and bubbling, about 5 minutes. Alternatively, microwave in 15 to 30-second intervals until the cheese melts.
Tried this recipe?
Tag me on Instagram. I'd love to see how it turns out!