These buffalo chicken sliders are the perfect mini handheld appetizer for parties and game days. Tender shredded chicken tossed in a spicy sauce and baked in a soft roll with melty cheese.
Table of Contents
When you need to feed a hungry crowd, this buffalo chicken sliders recipe will come in handy! They taste like buffalo chicken dip, but in a delicious handheld bun. You can create a big batch on a sheet pan. Tender pieces of chicken are tossed with a creamy, spicy, and tangy hot sauce. Serve in soft and fluffy dinner rolls with three types of melty cheese. It’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Grab a rotisserie chicken from the market to make prep even quicker. For a gathering, you can serve it with dipping sauces and crunchy vegetables. My family loves them as a fun weeknight dinner with crispy potato wedges or sweet potato fries.
Use leftover meat or store-bought shredded rotisserie chicken for quicker preparation. Shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. You’ll need 3 cups, about ¼ cup per slider. To make the chicken from scratch, use 1 ½ pounds of boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs.
I use my shredded chicken recipe for cooking the pieces quickly. If you purchased thin sliced chicken breasts, try my stovetop method. You can also make the chicken in a slow cooker to yield juicy bites.
Make buffalo chicken
You only need two simple ingredients to make a spicy buffalo sauce; hot sauce and ranch dressing. I use Frank’s RedHot cayenne pepper hot sauce. It’s thicker in consistency than other brands to help cling to the meat. You could also use buffalo sauce.
The wing sauce is thicker than hot sauce and has extra seasonings like butter and garlic powder. Ranch dressing adds a creamy element and tames the fiery hot pepper. Blue cheese dressing can be substituted if you want an extra tangy, aged cheese flavor. Toss the shredded chicken with two sauces, then assemble the sliders.
Use King’s Hawaiian rolls to make for quick and easy assembly. They sell both a classic sweet and a butter flavor; either works well. The slider buns are attached, so it’s less messy when adding the toppings. Twelve rolls come per pack. However, they also sell a nine-pack of pre-sliced slider buns that are slightly wider.
Slice the rolls in half lengthwise, creating a top and bottom that are still stuck together. If using separated rolls, place the bottom halves on the sheet pan tightly.
Assemble the sliders
Place the roll’s bottom half on a foil-lined sheet pan or baking dish. This makes cleaning up a lot easier! To help the slider stick together when picked up, layer the chicken mixture between the shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese. The bottom cheese layer also helps prevent the bread from becoming soggy.
Sprinkle crumbled blue cheese and sliced green onions on top. The delicate allium flavor from the onions adds a lovely freshness to the sandwich. Add the top rolls, then brush with an herb mixture of melted butter, dried Italian seasoning, salt, and garlic powder. Sesame seeds or everything bagel seasoning can be sprinkled on top instead of the herbs.
Bake the buffalo chicken sliders
Cover and bake in a 350ºF (177ºC) oven for 10 minutes to warm up the rolls and melt the cheese. Uncover to lightly brown the bread’s surface for about 5 minutes. It’s best to serve the sliders while they are hot and melty.
They are delicious straight from the pan! However, you can add extra toppings or serve on the side for guests. My favorites are coleslaw for a refreshing crispness or pickles for an extra sweet and tangy bite in the mini sandwiches.
Serve this with
- Classic coleslaw
- Vinegar coleslaw
- Blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing
- Pickle slices or pickled onions
- Celery sticks and carrot sticks
- Potato wedges or sweet potato fries
Frequently asked questions
Add the buffalo sauce to precooked shredded chicken. Then assemble and bake the sliders to warm and infuse the flavor into the meat. You can drizzle with more hot sauce or buffalo sauce before serving for a hot and tangy flavor.
The filling can be prepared two days in advance. It’s best to assemble the buffalo chicken sliders the day you plan to serve so that the bread does not become soggy.
If not serving immediately, cover them with foil and keep them warm in a 200ºF (93ºC) oven. Enjoy within a 1-hour to prevent the meat and bread from drying out.
Use two types of cheese
A high-moisture cheese like cheddar and mozzarella helps to bind the filling ingredients together. Sharp cheddar will add a more nutty and tangy flavor, balanced with the mild mozzarella. Monterey Jack, Colby, or smoked gouda are good swaps. Crumbled blue cheese is a classic pairing with buffalo chicken. It’s salty and creamy, making the slider more flavorful.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin This
Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- 3 cups pre-cooked shredded chicken, or thighs
- ¾ cup hot sauce, or buffalo sauce, Franks RedHot
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 dinner rolls, King's Hawaiian
- Preheat the Oven – Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Heat to 350°F (177°C). Line a sheet pan with foil, and set aside.
- Make Buffalo Chicken – In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, hot sauce, and ranch dressing.
- Assemble the Sliders – Use a serrated knife to cut the rolls in half lengthwise, keeping them intact once sliced. Place the bottom half of the rolls cut side up on the lined sheet pan. Evenly sprinkle half of the cheddar and mozzarella cheese on top. Add the buffalo chicken, about ¼ cup per slider. Sprinkle with the remaining shredded cheese. Sprinkle on the blue cheese and green onions.
- Season the Rolls – Place the top half of the rolls on the assembled sliders. Heat the butter in the microwave in 15-second increments until melted. Stir in the Italian seasoning, kosher salt, and garlic powder. Brush the butter mixture over the tops.
- Bake the Sliders – Cover the sliders with foil. Bake for 10 minutes, then uncover. Bake until the cheese is melted and the tops are lightly brown, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Serve – Transfer to a platter and serve immediately while hot.
- Cooking the Chicken: Cook 1 ½ pounds of boneless chicken breast or thighs to yield 3 cups of shredded meat.
- Using Buffalo Sauce: It will have a thicker consistency.
- Make Ahead: The buffalo chicken mixture can be prepared and stored in the refrigerator 2 days before. Heat in the microwave in 30-second intervals until warm.
- Storing: Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- Reheat: Heat the sliders in the microwave on high setting in 15-second increments until the rolls are soft and filling warm.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000-calorie diet. All nutritional information is based on estimated third-party calculations. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods, and portion sizes per household.
Tried this recipe?
Tag me on Instagram. I'd love to see how it turns out!