A recipe for crunchy, sweet and spiced nuts that can be used as a snack, or included as a delicious addition to your favorite salad or dessert recipes!
These crunchy, sweet and spiced candied nuts are a perfect addition to any salad, dessert or as a gift! I must warn you. They are addicting! I find any excuse I can to include them into my meals.
This recipe features candied almonds and pecans. However, you can use your favorite to create perfect crunchy, flavorful, candied nuts.
The recipe is quite simple, combine your favorite spices (I used cinnamon and nutmeg) with sugar and salt as the coating for the candied nuts.
The nuts are then tossed in a slightly foamy mixture of egg white, water, and vanilla; this allows the sugar and spice coating to adhere to the nuts as they roast. The nuts are then tossed in the sugar and spice coating.
Roast the nuts at 300°F for 15 minutes on a sheet tray lined with lightly greased foil. After 15 minutes, stir the nuts gently with a fork, then roast for an additional 25-30 minutes until crispy in texture and the sugar has adhered to the nuts.
I encourage you to try a sample at different time points to check the composition. As the nuts slowly roast, the smell of cinnamon, nutmeg and caramelized sugar fills the air!
This recipe for candied nuts is very simple. You can substitute the spices with other ingredients like ground ginger, cayenne pepper, Chinese five spice to bring some variety to the flavor!
I used pecans and almonds for the nuts that I candied; I especially enjoyed the candied pecans because they were incredibly crunchy and flavorful, the pieces reminded me of all the great baked goods during the holidays! I added these candied nuts to my dulce de leche apple pie recipe.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin This
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup nuts, pecans or almonds
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- Preheat the oven to 300°F and set the baking rack to the center position.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, salt, and ground nutmeg in a plastic bag, shake to mix.
- Add egg white, water, and vanilla in a bowl. Beat until slightly foamy, add nuts and coat well.
- Using a slotted spoon, lift nuts out of the bowl and place them into the plastic bag of sugar and spices. Shake well to coat thoroughly.
- Spread the sugared nuts on a sheet tray lined with lightly greased foil. Bake for 15 minutes, then stir gently with a fork.
- Bake for an additional 25- 30 minutes, until the nuts are crunchy in texture and the sugar has adhered and dried.
- Allow the nuts to cool on the sheet pan before serving.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @jessica_gavin on Instagram. I'd love to see how it turns out!