Light and healthy summer fruit salad served with a ripe peach dressing that is ready in five minutes or less!
The vibrant colors of summer fruits and vegetables always get me inspired to eat healthy and lighter, how about you? Making more wholesome meals is easy. I’m like a kid in a candy store when I see stone fruit appear. Peaches, nectarines, plums, they are all there and calling out to you, “eat me!”.
Juicy peaches are my favorite, and I wanted to infuse even more of its flavor into a refreshing salad, not only slices on top. Then it hit me. Lemon poppy seed dressing, but why not make a peach version? Bingo!
This recipe is super simple to make, so much so that this summer fruit salad with peach poppy seed dressing will be your warm-weather go-to meal. Grab your blender and let’s go!
When summer fruit is in season, you don’t need much else to make your dish extraordinary. A little creativity in the kitchen and your guests will be begging for more. I used my blender to make a quick less than 5-minute dressing. Ripe peaches, lemon juice, olive oil and a few sweeteners like honey or maple syrup if desired. If the peach is at its peak, you won’t need the extra natural sweetness.
The last ingredient to take this dressing to the next level is poppy seeds. These tiny seeds provide a little bit of nutty almond-like flavor and mini crunch, transforming the dressing from good to irresistible!
Go ahead and drizzle as much of this healthy peach poppy seed dressing as you want. Each bite of this fresh salad is packed with sweet strawberries, peaches, blueberries, pecans for crunch and a little bit of creamy goat cheese. You can top the salad with some chicken or grilled salmon if you need a bit more of a substantial meal. I serve this salad with added protein on those long hot summer nights, and it hits the spot!
How do you pick the perfect ripe Peach?
If you have access to a local Farmer’s market, you can typically find the ripest, flavorful and myriad varieties of peaches. If not that’s okay! When picking peaches at the grocery store look for color first. Seek out vibrant colors and tones, and avoid green tones (peaches were probably not picked at its peak). Now grab that peach and give the shoulder and tip (near the stem) a gentle press with your fingertips. If it starts to give, it’s most likely sweet and juicy. Avoid those super soft or hard like a rock peaches if you are going to eat them right away. Store them stem side down at room temperature on your countertop and refrigerate if not eating right away if ripe. Wrinkly skinned peaches are most likely dry and not as yummy. (Source: The Kitchn)
Summer Fruit Salad with Peach Poppy Seed Dressing
- 5 ounces spring mix salad, or your choice of greens, (about 10 lightly packed cups)
- 1 peach, sliced into wedges
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons goat cheese
- Add 1 cup sliced peaches, lemon juice, zest and water to your blender. Blend until smooth puree forms, about 30 seconds. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while the blender is running, mix for 30 seconds. Taste the dressing and add sweetener if desired, mix 15 seconds. Add poppy seeds and blend for 10 seconds just to mix in the seeds. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add salad greens. Top with peaches, strawberries, blueberries, pecans and goat cheese. Serve with peach poppy seed dressing on the side. If you are mixing the salad before serving, you may not need all of the dressing. Add the desired amount to coat the greens.