Grilled tequila lime chicken served with fresh mango salsa is a perfect meal for warm summer nights. Each piece of lean white meat is glazed with a honey-lime mixture for enhanced flavor.
Chicken is one of the simplest proteins to cook on a barbecue and the flavor combinations are endless. There’s no better way to welcome the change in season than with a festive grilled tequila lime chicken paired with a bright and colorful mango salsa.
A savory blend of spices combines nicely with tangy lime, aged tequila, and a drizzle of honey. This meal is bold in flavor but easy enough to prepare any day of the week. If you’re ready to fire up the grill, let’s not waste another minute!
There’s something about eating a mango that signals my brain to think island vacation or summertime. It’s one of those exotic fruits that just transforms the vibe of your dish in a fun and bright way.
There are a few ways on how to cut a mango, but the process is fairly straightforward. Because of the large seed in the center, you must cut around it. I like to use my 8-inch chef’s knife to cut from the top of the stem down to get two of widest sides first. Then I slice off two smaller sides. I cut down into the mango 1/4-inch wide slice pattern one direction and then cut across in the opposite direction to create a diamond hatch pattern. Then I use a spoon to scoop out the cubes of sliced mango.
A tasty salsa is the quickest way to add fresh flavors and nutrients into each bite. With health in mind, I like to incorporate as many colorful fruits and vegetables into my meals.
Ripe red tomatoes, creamy avocado, savory minced red onions, zesty lemon juice, spicy jalapeno all make it into this fresh mango salsa recipe. I always have an extra bag of chips on hand, so I can snack on the salsa as I grill.
Wow, check out that gorgeous spiced and marinated grilled tequila lime chicken breast! I like to add a simple lime juice and honey glaze combination to each side of the chicken when I’m grilling. It’s so good! The chicken is great on top of salads or even in as a filling for chicken tacos.
Now that the chicken is hot off the grill don’t forget to top with a generous amount of fresh mango salsa. Why not also make yourself a cold mango margarita since you have all of the ingredients on hand, just a friendly suggestion. I hope you enjoy those warm summer nights with friends or family just relaxing with full bellies, and that this chicken dish makes it to your table.
SEE ALSO: More Chicken recipes you might like
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #jessicagavin on Instagram. I’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
The benefit of marinating chicken before cooking
The biggest advantage of marinating your chicken is to infuse MORE flavor! The surface of the meat gets most of the marinade love. The garlic and savory spices get dispersed in the oil which helps the fat-soluble flavor compounds disperse and stick to the surface of the chicken. The acids like lime juice in the marinade helps to slightly tenderize the meat. I would go 1 to 2 hours max for this tequila lime marinade. The water-soluble ingredients like the salt and earthy flavors of the tequila gently infuse into the meat, thus making it even more flavorful.
Tequila Lime Chicken with Mango Salsa
Tequila Lime Chicken-
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus zest
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, thinly sliced or flattened to ½-inch thick, (4 breasts)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 mango, cubed
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 jalapeño, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
Tequila Lime Chicken Marinade-
- Whisk all marinade ingredients together; tequila, 2 tablespoons lime juice, zest, garlic, cumin, paprika, salt, chili powder, black pepper and olive oil.
- Put chicken in a resealable plastic bag just large enough to fit the chicken.
- Pour marinade over the chicken, turning to coat. Remove any air from the bag and seal.
- Allow chicken to marinate for 20 to 30 mins (room temperature) to 1 hour (refrigerated).
- Combine in a small bowl 2 tablespoons honey and 1 tablespoon lime juice, set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine mango, tomato, avocado, red onion, lemon zest and juice, jalapeno and cilantro.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Tequila Lime Chicken-
- Heat grill to medium-high. Add a small amount of vegetable oil on a folded piece of paper towel, and then carefully grease the grill with the oil.
- Once the grill is nice and hot, add the marinated chicken breasts and discard the marinade.
- Cook chicken on each side until no longer pink (160-165°F), about 4-6 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the chicken.
- After flipping the first side, brush the glaze onto the chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and transfer to a clean plate, cover to keep warm.
More Popular Summer Recipes
Shop the Recipe Tools
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting my website