This tequila lime chicken recipe is served with fresh mango salsa and is perfect for warm summer nights. Each piece of lean white meat is glazed with a honey-lime mixture for enhanced flavor.
Table of Contents
Chicken is one of the simplest proteins to cook on a barbecue, and the flavor combinations are endless. There’s no better way to welcome the change in season than with a festive grilled tequila lime chicken paired with bright and colorful mango salsa.
A savory blend of spices combines nicely with tangy lime, aged tequila, and a drizzle of honey. This meal is bold in flavor but easy enough to prepare any day of the week. If you’re ready to fire up the grill, let’s not waste another minute!
Cut the mango
There are a few ways how to cut a mango, but the process is pretty straightforward. Because of the large seed in the center, you must cut around it. I like to use my 8-inch chef’s knife to cut from the top of the stem to get the two widest sides first. Then I slice off two smaller sides.
I cut down into the mango 1/4-inch wide slice pattern in one direction and then cut across in the opposite direction to create a diamond hatch pattern. Then I use a spoon to scoop out the cubes of sliced mango.
Prepare the salsa
A tasty salsa is the quickest way to add fresh flavors and nutrients to each bite. With health in mind, I incorporatingte as many colorful fruits and vegetables into my meals.
Ripe red tomatoes, creamy avocado, savory minced red onions, zesty lemon juice, and spicy jala all make it into this fresh mango salsa recipe. I always have an extra bag of chips on hand, so I can snack on the salsa as I grill.
Grill the chicken
I like adding a simple lime juice and honey glaze combination to each side of the chicken breasts I’m grilling. It’s so good! The chicken is great on top of salads or even as a filling for chicken tacos.
Why not also make yourself a cold mango margarita since you have all of the ingredients on hand? Just a friendly suggestion. I hope you enjoy those warm summer nights with friends or family, just relaxing with full bellies, and that this chicken dish makes it to your table.
More chicken recipes
The benefit of a chicken marinade
The biggest advantage of marinating chicken is to infuse more flavor! The surface of the meat gets most of the marinade. The garlic and savory spices get dispersed in the oil, which helps the fat-soluble flavor compounds stick to the surface of the chicken. The acids like lime juice in the marinade helps to tenderize the meat. I would go 1 to 2 hours max.
Tequila Lime Chicken with Mango Salsa
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 mango, cubed
- ½ cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ jalapeño, minced
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Prepare the Marinade – In a mixing bowl, whisk the tequila, 2 tablespoons lime juice, zest, garlic, cumin, paprika, salt, chili powder, black pepper, and olive oil.
- Marinate the Chicken – Place the chicken in a resealable plastic bag just large enough to fit. Pour the marinade inside, turning to coat. Remove any air from the bag and seal it. Marinate for 20 to 30 minutes at room temperature or 1 hour refrigerated.
- Prepare the Glaze – In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons honey and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Set aside.
- Mango Salsa – In a medium-sized bowl, combine mango, tomato, avocado, red onion, lemon zest, lemon juice, jalapeno, and cilantro. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Grill the Chicken – Heat the grill to medium-high. Add a small amount of vegetable oil on a folded piece of paper towel, and carefully grease the grill grates to clean. Once hot, add the chicken breasts and discard the marinade.Cook until the chicken is no longer pink (160 to 165°F), about 4 to 6 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness. After flipping the first side, brush the glaze onto the chicken. Transfer to a clean plate, and cover to keep warm.
- To Serve – Brush more glaze on the chicken, if desired, and top with mango salsa.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000-calorie diet. All nutritional information is based on estimated third-party calculations. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods, and portion sizes per household.
Tried this recipe?
Tag me on Instagram. I'd love to see how it turns out!