An easy 30-minute pesto shrimp pasta recipe. A delicious sauce is created by blending fresh spinach, arugula, basil, walnuts, parmesan cheese, and olive oil.
Pesto shrimp pasta is a quick meal solution that packs superior flavor when the craving for Italian food hits. This recipe combines succulent shrimp and spaghetti with a vibrant vegetable sauce. Make yourself or your family a satisfying dinner without the long preparation time.
I save time by using my Vitamix blender to create a smooth pesto sauce within minutes, no cooking required! A healthy blend arugula, spinach, and basil deliver maximum taste and nutrition in each serving. Layers of flavor are developed with a hint of pungent garlic, aged Parmesan cheese, and walnuts for creaminess and texture. This delicious meal is an excellent alternative to your classic tomato-based pasta dishes.
A quick meal that does not compromise on taste is essential during busy weekdays. Instead of grabbing a jar of premade sauce, wholesome ingredients can be added directly to your blender for an instant homemade pesto.
My blender has five unique program settings, and I used the “Dip and Spreads” setting, which uses pre-set smart controls for speed and timing to create the perfect texture for the pesto sauce. This machine also has a manual variable speed dial and a programmable timer for flexibility so I can experiment with these additional controls.
In just under a minute the laser-cut stainless steel blades and metal drive system blended the leafy greens and chunky pieces of nuts with ease.
This blender is handy for creating an emulsion sauce because it can effortlessly disperse the oil into smaller droplets that become suspended in the sauce mixture of fibers, protein, and water. The result is a smooth, thick, and creamy pesto sauce that’s perfect for coating tender pasta noodles.
The warm spaghetti noodles are gently mixed with the fresh pesto sauce, adding herbaceous and savory flavor to each bite. This sauce is so versatile. You can use it as a dip with crunchy vegetables, top with your choice of protein, or mixed in with cooked grains or soup to elevate the flavor.
Lean shrimp is added to the pesto pasta to create an irresistible entreé. The shrimp is tossed in paprika, salt, and pepper, then seared in olive oil to infuse more flavor into the seafood. It only takes a few minutes of cook time in a hot pan using the sauté technique for the shrimp to be ready.
You are not going to want to wait a moment longer to serve and devour this pesto shrimp pasta. Garnishing with sweet baby tomatoes, chopped walnuts, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese will guarantee that your culinary efforts will be rewarded with a delightful supper.
More shrimp recipes you might like
- Spicy Garlic Shrimp Skillet
- Soba Noodles with Spicy Garlic Shrimp
- Cauliflower Grits with Spicy Shrimp
What is Pesto sauce?
A classic pesto sauce is a combination of two cooking techniques: pureéing, and emulsification. The large leafy greens, nuts, garlic, and cheese first need to be broken down by using the sharp, quick blades in the blender. The olive oil is then gradually added to suspend the mixture of food particles in a creamy sauce that does not separate once added to the pasta.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin This
Pesto Shrimp Pasta
- 3 cups arugula, packed
- 2 cups baby spinach, packed
- ¼ cup basil
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup walnuts, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces spaghetti, dried noodles
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, 16-20 count size
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup baby tomatoes, cut in half
- To make the pesto add arugula, spinach, basil, garlic, walnuts, cheese, and ¾ teaspoon salt to a blender. Process until greens begin to break down, 30 seconds.
- With the blender running, slowly add six tablespoons of olive oil to the pesto. Process until a smooth pesto with some particulates is formed, 15 to 30 seconds. Season with more salt and pepper as desired. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to manufacturer's directions. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, make the shrimp.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine shrimp, ¼ teaspoon salt, paprika, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, once hot add the shrimp in a single layer.
- Cook shrimp 2 minutes on each side, until no longer translucent and the flesh is pink. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- In a large bowl or pan toss pasta with pesto sauce.
- Portion out pesto pasta on a plate. Add shrimp and tomatoes. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and chopped walnuts.
Want to save this recipe?
Create an account easily save your favorite content, so you never forget a recipe again.
Tried this recipe?
Tag @jessica_gavin on Instagram. I'd love to see how it turns out!