This super green smoothie recipe will energize you in an instant! A healthy blend of green tea, yogurt, almonds, banana, spinach, and kale all in one tasty sip. This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
As we gear into a fresh new year, let’s get excited to take on our personal health goals! With a chance to restart and recharge, I am always motivated to make actionable changes to my food and fitness routine to stay on track. I love the challenge of developing better-for-you recipes, but that you will still enjoy and crave! One way is by creating breakfast recipes that add more nutrition to your day.
This super green smoothie will give the energy boost that you need to kick-start your mornings. By making some simple, wholesome swaps, it’s easy to add protein, fiber, fruit, vegetables, and antioxidants into your glass without compromising on flavor. Let’s start this year off right together and put that blender to work!
I’ve been keeping a secret from you. I know, I’m sorry. It’s not because I didn’t want to share, just that I was waiting for just the right time. Being a full-time mom, wife, food scientist and blogger is so fulfilling, yet can get hectic juggling all of the incredible gifts that I have. To stay active and energized for my family and me, I always commit to two things each day; eating a healthy breakfast and exercising (no matter how little or intense).
Today I am sharing my ULTIMATE super green smoothie recipe that I make each morning to get the cylinders firing. My son calls it “mommy’s super juice,” and it sure is. Let me tell you why and show you how.
How to Make a Green Smoothie
- Greens – Baby kale and spinach are delicate and tender, and the earthy and bitter notes are not as strong for the smoothie. One cup of kale is packed with about 3 grams of protein, 2.5 grams of fiber, vitamins A, C, K, folate, phosphorus, potassium, calcium and zinc, omega-3 fatty acids and the phytonutrients lutein and zeaxanthin. Spinach is rich in iron and an excellent source of vitamins K, A, C and folic acid.
- Matcha Green Tea- The ground green tea leaves can contain up to 10 to 15 times more overall nutrients, and 100 times more antioxidants compared to traditional green tea. The antioxidants from different catechins help to protect against free radicals and strengthen your immune system.
- Protein- Greek yogurt and almonds (nuts and milk) add a boost of protein, so you stay satiated until the next meal. Yogurt also contains probiotics which daily consumption has been shown to help to increase the immune system and promote a healthy digestive tract.
- Fruit- Bananas add a light natural sweetness and creamy texture to the green smoothie. It’s also a good source of potassium, electrolytes, and contains prebiotic fibers that aid in digestion.
- Natural Sweetener – To balance the bitterness from the greens and tea, two teaspoons of Truvia® Natural Sweetener Spoonables is added to the smoothie. It’s zero-calorie and a stevia-based sweetener. It’s the perfect swap for sugar, one packet of Truvia® Natural Sweetener provides the same sweetness as two teaspoons of sugar.
All of these nutritional powerhouse ingredients get added to your blender, and in less than 5 minutes you have a cold, creamy and delicious smoothie ready to drink at home or on-the-go.
A glass of this super green smoothie with matcha tea will help nourish your body so you can optimize your day! Now that I’ve shared my top-secret daily breakfast regimen, how will you incorporate this recipe into your routine? Breakfast or a quick afternoon snack, it’s a refreshing beverage to add to your meal plan. I can’t wait to hear about your smoothie adventures in the comments section below!
More Drink recipes you might like
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #jessicagavin on Instagram. I’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
How do you use Matcha Green Tea in Recipes?
Matcha powder is finely ground whole green tea leaves that provide a mild tea flavor with a hint of sweetness and creamy texture. For culinary purposes, it can be used in beverages like smoothies and lattes, desserts like ice cream, puddings, baked goods or even in snack bars. Select ceremonial grade for the highest quality drinking tea. I recommend starting with adding one teaspoon to your recipe and then gradually increasing until you reach the desired amount of green tea flavor.
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt , or dairy free
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup baby kale
- 1 banana , sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder
- 2 teaspoons natural sweetener , (Truvia® Natural Sweetener Spoonable)
- Add all ingredients into a blender. Blend for 60 to 90 seconds until the mixture is smooth. Add more ice for a thicker smoothie or milk to thin the smoothie as desired.
- Unsweetened cashew, soy, rice, coconut or dairy milk can be used instead of almond milk.
- Add some protein powder for an extra protein boost. I usually use 1 scoop to 8 ounces liquid.
More Popular Breakfast Recipes
Shop the Recipe Tools
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting my website.
All of the ingredients for this super green smoothie were purchased at Ralph’s grocery store. If you’re looking to reduce calories or sugar in your diet or have diabetes, Truvia®Natural Sweetener is a great natural sweetener choice! It’s extremely versatile in recipes, sweet and savory so you could use it throughout meal time. Make sure to request a free sample and use this online coupon so you can give it a try. Let me know what recipes you create so we can share!