Tofu scramble is a delicious vegan breakfast that’s loaded with plant-based protein and vegetables. Choosing the right type of tofu is key to achieving a tender scrambled eggs consistency. Adding some turmeric gives a yellow hue and savory flavor to the crumbled bean curd.
This tofu scramble recipe will be a game-changer for your breakfast line up! It’s not uncommon that scrambled eggs show up to my daily routine, until now. After making a tofu scramble with a special seasoning mix and fresh vegetables, it’s a wonderful vegan-friendly meal option that everyone can enjoy.
By breaking up the bean curd and pressing out the excess moisture, a similar texture to scrambled eggs forms. To make the tofu visually appear similar to eggs, a small amount of turmeric coats the pieces for a sunshine yellow color. I’m going to cover the necessary steps to make a tofu scramble. Ready to switch up your morning routine with a customizable healthy breakfast?
How to Make Tofu Scramble
The key is selecting the right type of tofu. I use soft tofu because the bean curd holds its shape yet is tender enough to break apart when cooking and smooth when eaten. Silken tofu is too delicate, and extra-firm tofu may taste chewier unless you enjoy more of a springy texture.
It’s essential to crumble the tofu first, into about 1-inch sized pieces and then allow it to drain. Breaking the bean curd up allows the excess moisture inside to drain more quickly. This process prevents the scramble from becoming watery when cooked.
To make a healthy scramble, some fresh vegetables are sauteed before adding the tofu. Spinach, bell peppers and red onions add vibrant color and crunch to the meal.
Tofu is a protein powerhouse, and its neutral flavor with a slightly nutty and sweet taste lends well to taking on layers of flavor. To add some savory notes to the tofu, a mixture of cumin, salt, pepper, and turmeric is mixed in.
To complete the tofu scramble, serve with diced avocado, chopped parsley or even some hot sauce if you like a little heat. I hope you enjoy this breakfast recipe as much as I do! I’d love to hear what you think in the comments section below!
More tofu recipes
The benefits of adding turmeric to the tofu
Just a small amount of turmeric is all you need to make the tofu turn yellow. If too much is added the tofu will turn golden in color, and it will start to taste bitter and become more like a curry. Turmeric also has some unique anti-inflammatory benefits, so incorporating it into meals is also a plus.
Pin this recipe to save for laterPin This
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Crumble tofu into 1-inch pieces onto the paper towels. Spread into an even layer and allow to drain for 15 minutes. Press with more paper towels before cooking.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add olive oil and once hot and shimmering, add the garlic and onion. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the bell pepper and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and saute until wilted, 2 minutes.
- Add in drained tofu, salt, turmeric, and black pepper, stir to combine.
- Cook and stir until tofu is hot and evenly coated in the seasoning mix, 3 minutes.
- The tofu can be broken up more when cooking to create smaller pieces.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper as desired.
- Top with avocado and parsley.
Tried this recipe?
Tag me on Instagram. I'd love to see how it turns out!