Greek chicken is a Mediterranean feast loaded with savory flavor. Roasted chicken breast is cooked in one pan with zucchini, bell peppers, red potatoes, and tomatoes, then topped with feta cheese and olives for a hearty and healthy meal.
This easy Greek chicken dinner is a fresh Mediterranean-inspired recipe cooked in one skillet. Tender pieces of chicken are seasoned with herbs & spices and then sauteed to create a beautiful golden crust. This lean white meat protein is then roasted on a bed of nutritious vegetables like zucchini, potatoes, bell pepper and tomatoes.
The potatoes soak up the savory juices from the chicken, making each bite more flavorful. Delicious feta cheese and kalamata olives complement each serving. This satisfying dinner is a simple dish that can be made any day of the week!
Whenever I have the chance, I like to build in as much flavor as possible into my dishes. The simplest way to do that is using herbs and spices with dry-heat cooking. The chicken is marinated in a mixture of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, paprika and dried oregano. The marination allows the aromatic ingredients to infuse and tenderize the chicken.
Before roasting the chicken breasts with the vegetables, the meat is seared in a hot cast iron skillet. The high heat and hot oil make contact with the surface of the chicken in the pan, creating beautifully browned colors and new flavors from the Maillard reaction.
The red potatoes and baby tomatoes get a quick sear in the pan. This lightly browns the starch and kick starts the cooking process of the tomatoes. The zucchini, bell pepper, and lemon slices are added after 20 minutes of roasting because they cook more quickly.
After about 15 minutes of roasting, the chicken will be juicy and vegetables fork tender. The tomatoes burst under the high heat and combine with the chicken drippings, and lemon juice creates a bright and citrusy sauce. A sprinkle of tangy feta cheese, briny kalamata olives, and fresh dill complete the dish.
This one-pan greek chicken is a feast for the eyes and belly! I recommend serving it with a crunchy Greek salad, pita bread or tzatziki sauce. This skillet meal looks deceivingly fancy, but it’s very simple to prepare and will wow hungry eaters.
More Greek recipes
Choosing the right roasting potato
Red potatoes are used for this recipe because they have the ideal texture when cooked at high heat. The potatoes are cut into smaller pieces for quicker cooking, so a sturdier potato is needed. Waxy fleshed potatoes like the red bliss have high moisture and sugar levels to help hold its shape after prolonged cooking and stirring. The flesh stays tender yet firm with a creamy mouthfeel that doesn’t break apart easily compared to more starchy potatoes like Russets.
Greek Chicken with Roasted Potatoes
- ½ cup (120 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons (8 g) minced garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons (4 g) kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) dried oregano
- 2 pounds (908 g) boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 pound (454 g) baby red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup (160 g) baby tomatoes
- 2 cups (240 g) zucchini, cut into ½-inch thick round slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 slices
- ¼ cup (113 g) pitted kalamata olives, cut in half
- 1 ounce (30 g) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon (3 g) chopped dill
- Place oven rack in the center position. Preheat to 400ºF (204ºC).
- In a small bowl whisk together ¼ cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon black pepper, paprika, and oregano.
- Add chicken and olive oil mixture to a resealable plastic bag, evenly coating the chicken with the oil. Allow chicken to marinate for 15 minutes while preparing the other ingredients.
- In a medium-sized bowl mix together 1 tablespoon olive oil, potatoes, tomatoes, 1 teaspoon garlic, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In a 12-inch ovenproof skillet heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the chicken. Saute for 5 minutes, flip and cook another 3 minutes. Transfer to a clean plate.
- Turn heat to medium and add the potato mixture, saute and cook for 3 minutes. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl combine zucchini, bell pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper.
- Remove pan from oven and use a spatula to carefully stir, scraping the bottom to release the potato mixture.
- Add the zucchini mixture to the pan, rosemary, and then evenly place the chicken on top. Add lemon slices to the pan.
- Roast until the chicken is cooked through and reaches the internal temperature of 160 to 165ºF (71 to 74ºC), about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle chicken with kalamata olives, crumbled feta, and dill. Serve hot.