A classic Chinese sweet and sour chicken recipe made in only 30 minutes! Tender stir-fried chicken tossed in a delicious tangy sauce with crisp vegetables. This post sponsored by Nakano Natural and Seasoned Rice Vinegar.
Do you want to know my secret for creating fast meals with big taste? It’s all about turning up the heat and combining some naturally tasty ingredients all together for an incredible flavor hit! With the Lunar New Year just days away, I’m sharing a classic Chinese sweet a sour chicken recipe that will be sure to please your family.
You’ll also learn my go-to cooking and sauce techniques for maximum flavor infusion. This dish will certainly be a recipe you can enjoy any time of the week, so drop those takeout menus and grab a pan. Let’s fire up the stove!
Key Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Chicken
Sweet and sour chicken is undeniably a favorite dish at Chinese restaurants for many good reasons. It’s a combination of the elements; super tender wok-fired chicken, crisp vegetables, and an irresistible sweet and tangy sauce. I created a wholesome homemade version with all the bursting flavors that you love!
For me, what makes this dish so unique is the sauce. The tomato-based sauce is just sticky enough to coat each piece of browned chicken entirely. To keep the sauce simple and tasty, I used Nakano Natural Rice Vinegar, honey, soy sauce, tomato paste, pineapple juice, garlic, and onion powder. That’s it! The balance of rich sweetness from the honey with the vibrant tartness of the rice vinegar is key.
The ingredients are stir-fried over high heat in either a large pan or wok which makes this meal cook in a flash. Lean chicken breast is cut into small pieces of a consistent size to keep the chicken moist and tender. This helps the protein evenly cook in lightening speed.
The chicken is also tossed in a delicate coating of cornstarch to add some texture to the surface and give the sauce more opportunity to stick to the meat. The more sauce in each bite, the better!
Grab a bowl so you can dig in! Serve this Chinese sweet and sour chicken over rice, or if you are looking for a low carb option try cauliflower rice or quinoa for excellent substitutions. If you have any extra sauce, make sure to serve it on the side for those who want to dip!
This delightful combination of white meat chicken and tangy sauce are nicely complemented with big chunks of crisp bell peppers, onions, and pineapple. You get a hearty serving of protein, vegetables, and fruit all in one bowl! Since this dish is so easy, it’s perfect for those hectic weekdays or served as part of a leisurely feast with your loved ones. What is your favorite Chinese dish? I can’t wait to hear about your favorite recipes and cooking adventures!
How does Cornstarch thicken sauces?
One handy ingredient to use as a quick thickener for sauces is cornstarch. With just a small amount, mixed with water to create a slurry, the thickening power of the polysaccharides in cornstarch is incredible. For this sweet and sour chicken recipe, the sauce ingredients are heated to a boil, the cold cornstarch slurry is added to the pot and whisked in. With continuous stirring and heat, the starch molecules amylose and amylopectin absorb the water, forms bonds, and swells. This is called starch gelatinization. It turns any runny liquid into a thickened sauce, perfect to add to your dishes!
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Sweet and Sour Sauce-
- 1/2 cup honey, plus 2 teaspoons
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar, Nakano Natural Rice Vinegar
- 4 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice, , divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast, , cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, , cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, , cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup white onion, , 3/4-inch dice
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, canned, reserve juice for sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, (optional)
Sweet and Sour Sauce-
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together honey, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, tomato paste, and 1 tablespoon pineapple juice (from pineapple chunks).
- In a separate small bowl whisk together 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 2 tablespoons pineapple juice. Water can be substituted for pineapple juice if desired.
- In a small pot add sauce mixture, heat over medium-high heat. Once boiling, add the cornstarch mixture. Whisk constantly until sauce thickens, about 30 seconds. Turn off heat and leave on stove top.
- To a large bowl add chicken, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup cornstarch, stir to coat the chicken.
- Heat a large saute pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the chicken in a single layer. Cook until light golden brown, about 4 minutes. Flip the chicken pieces to cook the other side, about 3 additional minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add 1 teaspoon minced garlic, red and green bell peppers, and onions to the pan. Saute until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add pineapple and saute for 1 minute. Add the sauce, stir to coat and cook another 2 minutes, or until sauce is warmed through.
- Serve sweet and sour chicken over rice. Enjoy!