One pot Mexican spiced vegetable quinoa is loaded with bold flavors and healthy ingredients. Protein, fiber, and vegetables in each delicious spoonful.
Are you a big fan of the robust flavors of Mexican cuisine? If so, you are in for a treat! This one pot Mexican spiced vegetable quinoa is everything you want in one big hearty bowl. I’m always on the search for new ways to spice up healthy meals.
I cook quinoa at least twice a week and usually keep it simple. I wanted to make it the star of this dish by adding bold flavors and vegetables with each spoonful. Just chop, simmer, cover, and boom, you’ve got a delicious meal just waiting to be devoured. Ready?
This recipe makes for extra servings, so you can feed a crowd or have leftovers for the next day. I added some to my breakfast scramble the next morning, and it was so good!
So many gorgeous vegetables in one pan! As they simmer and cook down, they just melt in your mouth. I’ve added bell peppers, corn, tomatoes, zucchini, and jalapenos for a bit of heat. Black beans add extra protein and fiber to the quinoa to make it a complete meal. Quinoa is a unique super grain that is a complete source of protein, providing a whopping 8 grams in one cup!
Look at that bowl of quinoa perfection! I just want to dive in with the biggest spoon I can find. The grains soak up the broth, juice from the tomatoes, cumin and chili powder for an earthy flavor.
Grab a plate and dig in! This is an excellent vegetarian meal, or you can serve it as a savory side dish. My family and I enjoyed some blackened chicken tacos with this Mexican spiced quinoa. Fiesta for the taste buds!
This one pot Mexican spiced vegetable quinoa is loaded with healthy ingredients. Each bite gets you a mix of protein, fiber, and vegetables. A rainbow in a bowl means a nutritional boost, so you feel good on the inside and out. This quinoa recipe requires minimal effort and provides tons of flavor. Just what you need after a long day! What other flavors do you like to add to quinoa?
More quinoa recipes
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #jessicagavin on Instagram. I’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
Why should you rinse quinoa grains before cooking?
Always rinse quinoa before cooking. If you don’t wash the quinoa, you may notice a bitter note from a natural coating on the grain called saponin. All you need to do is place the quinoa grains in a fine-meshed strainer and rinse for about 30 seconds under cool water. Shake off the excess water and transfer the grains to your cooking pot. Adding the spices, salt, and broth really help to balance out any lingering bitterness.
One Pot Mexican Spiced Vegetable Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, (15ml)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, (38g) diced, ¼ inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, (291g) uncooked, rinsed with cold water and drained
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 cup bell pepper, (175g) ¼ inch dice, red or green
- 1 cup zucchini, (146g) ¼ inch dice
- 1 cup black beans, (162g) canned, drained and rinsed
- 14 1/2 ounces tomatoes, diced (1 can with juice)
- 1 cup corn kernels, (156g) fresh or frozen
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups broth, (600ml) vegetable or chicken
- 2 tablespoons green onions, (2g) thinly sliced
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and red onion, stir and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add quinoa, jalapeno, bell pepper, zucchini, black beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt, broth and stir together.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until quinoa is cooked and liquid is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes. You do not need to stir the quinoa as it is cooking.
- Turn off heat and allow to sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Season with additional salt and pepper as needed, fluff quinoa, and sprinkle with green onions.
More Popular Side Dish Recipes
SHOP THE RECIPE TOOLS
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting my website.